Literacy Narrative Reflection

Odalis Espinoza

Professor Killebrew

FIQWS 10108

13 September 2018

During the first week of class, my professor Ms. K had us see two images that had stirred up conflict recently. One of the pictures was of Ruby Bridges, the other of Betsy DeVos. We as a class, had to analyze the two images, as well as learn the backstories of the individuals. We focused on different elements of both images, and were able to identify each artist’s point of view.

Writing this literacy narrative made me realize that there are many points of view in a classroom alone, let alone in a country. I felt happy to hear the many opinions of my classmates, as well as the opinion of my professor. To me, the image by McCoy comparing DeVos to Bridges was a false comparison because the struggles that these two females faced are extremely different. DeVos is a billionaire, while Bridges was an African American girl who was being discriminated against.

The process of writing my literacy narrative was simple. On the first day of class we were presented with the two images and were informed who the two individuals were. We then began to focus on the intended audience of the artists, the purpose of the two images, our stance on the topic, the genre of the images, and the medium in which it was presented. As a class we answered these questions, which made it easier to incorporate these important elements into my narrative.

After continuously writing the draft, revising my peers’ as well as my own, and rereading my work, I got tired of the topic. We were told to bring in a draft of our narrative for peer revisions. In my opinion this was very helpful because I got to see what my peer was writing, her writing style, and I was able to interact with her as well. Once the literacy narrative was assigned, I went home and typed up my work, saved and submitted it on Turn It In. I was so eager to submit this assignment, get it over with, and not hear about it again. To my dismay, when I arrived on Wednesday to class, Ms. K informed us we had to write a reflection paper about the process of writing our literacy narrative. Writing this narrative has taught me a lot about myself and about how I work. I have learned that I can only spend a certain amount of time on a certain topic, until I get tired or bored. This information is important to me because now I know not to leave any assignment for the last minute.

Overall, writing this literacy narrative began as an exciting assignment. Getting to learn about two individuals, who are very different, and how they are being compared to each other was also very interesting. Not only did I learn from the information that was being brought to class by the professor, but this topic interested me so much that I went home to do some research. I believe assignments should spark this curiosity into students, and professors should focus on interesting topics, such as this one, to bring into class. Lastly, in my opinion we could have been on this topic for about three classes at most. To conclude, writing my literacy narrative on DeVos and Bridges has let me learn new things, about the world and myself.